A great way to create a stylish and comfortable deck is to use an outdoor rug. However, not all outdoor rugs are safe for a wood deck. Depending on the material, some rugs can cause rot when placed on a wood deck. They can also lead to scratches, stains, and fading. You want to avoid such rugs.
To make things easier, we’ve compiled a list of the best outdoor rugs for wood decks after a lot of research and testing. These rugs are not only cozy and attractive but also provide the best protection for your wood deck. They are designed to withstand harsh weather conditions and will not scratch or stain your wood deck.
In the next sections, we will answer some very important questions about using outdoor rugs on wood decks and introduce you to our top 8 products.
Why Use an Outdoor Rug on Your Wood Deck?
An outdoor rug helps to define your wood deck by adding color, texture, and style. So, your deck looks nicer, cohesive, and more welcoming.
With the best rug, your deck would be less vulnerable to the sun and other adverse weather conditions. You will have less dirt and grime to deal with, especially in areas with heavy foot traffic.
In addition, most outdoor rugs don’t require frequent cleaning as exposed wood decks. So, they are much easier to maintain in the long haul.
Will an Outdoor Rug Damage a Wood Deck?
It depends on the rug’s material.
Outdoor rugs woven from synthetic materials like polypropylene are weather-resistant and will not damage your wooden deck. On the other hand, rugs made of natural fiber tend to absorb a lot of water, which can encourage mold growth. In most cases, they are not UV-resistant.
So, provided you choose the right material, an outdoor rug will not damage your wood deck.
Check this article for more information on various rug types and how they affect a wood deck.
What kind of outdoor carpets ruin decks?
Any outdoor rug that traps in water underneath will likely ruin your wood deck. Such rugs can easily attract moths and become a breeding ground for mold and mildew. Outdoor rugs made of natural fibers such as sisal and jute are good examples.
You also want to avoid rugs with rubber or latex backings. Such rugs also trap in moisture between the backing and the wood. Over time, this causes the wood to soften and begin to rot.
Likewise, rugs with non-perforated pads that hold back water can ruin your wood deck. Hence, they should be avoided.
Types of Outdoor Rugs for Decks
Below are the major types of outdoor rugs commonly used for decks.
Natural Fiber Rugs
Natural fiber rugs are made from organic materials such as sisal, jute, and hemp. These materials are eco-friendly and typically come in natural hues that add texture to wooden decks.
However, they do not perform well under humid conditions and tend to fade in direct sunlight. So, they are generally not as durable as synthetic rugs and often cost more.
As a result, natural fiber outdoor rugs are best suited for a covered porch or they can be used as indoor rugs.
Polypropylene is a synthetic material that looks very much like sisal. It is stain- and fade-resistant, which makes it ideal for outdoor use. In fact, outdoor rugs made of 100% polypropylene are typically mold- and mildew-resistant and can withstand rain and extreme weather conditions.
They also have a great texture and are very easy to maintain. They dry much faster than natural fiber rugs and retain their color for a long time.
Another rug material you will often come across is polyester. The biggest advantage of polyester rugs is that they are fade-resistant. They also repel non-oil-based stains. However, they can shed, pill or mat down when used in areas with heavy foot traffic. Also, the manufacturing process of polyester is not environmentally friendly.
Unlike polyester, nylon is more resilient and will not mat down in high-traffic areas. Like polypropylene, it is colorfast, stain-resistant, and cleans easily. It will also last. The main disadvantage of using a nylon rug on a wood deck is that it gets very hot in the sun..Nylon is not eco-friendly.
Acrylic has the closest semblance of natural fiber. It has a soft finish that feels fluffy underfoot. It doesn’t trap water like natural fibers but releases it readily, which always results in quick drying after some rain or spillages.
So, there’s less chance of mold and mildew growth. The material is fairly colorfast and does well against stains. However, like polyester, it can pill.
Cotton is known for its incredible comfort, which makes it great for outdoor living. It’s one of the softest materials available, much softer than synthetic fibers like plastic and polypropylene.
However, cotton rugs do not do well with water and humidity. So, if you’re going to use cotton outdoors, it has to be in a covered area and on a temporary basis.
Top 8 best outdoor rugs for wood decks to buy in 2022
1. SAND MINE Reversible Outdoor Rug
- REVERSIBLE MATS: With timeless design, this plastic patio rug is elegant as it is functional, use on your patio with outdoor furniture and accessories to show off your personal style.
- PREMIUM QUALITY: This outdoor rug for the beach, camper, or front porch is derived from 100% virgin polypropylene, along with edging that is heat treated to avoid fraying, soft and durable, low-maintenance. The Breathable material will not hurt grass or scratch your deck.
- EASY CLEANING & PORTABLE: For a quick clean simply sweep away dirt with water and airing it dry. Reversible outdoor rugs can be folded into compact size for easy storage, it comes with a carrying bag for added convenience. Suitable for an afternoon outing or an RV road trip.
- UV STABILIZATION: UV coated to protect against fading and other sun damage. Note: Colors show different in pictures due to lighting. SIZES: 4' x 6', 5' x 8', 9' x 12', 9' x 18', four size are perfect for any indoor/outdoor decoration.
- VERSATILE AND FUNCTIONAL: These versatile and functional rugs are great option to elevate any entertainment space including patio, deck garden, beach, picnic, rv camping, garage, kids rooms.
The SAND MINE Reversible Outdoor Rug is designed for wood decks frequently exposed to the weather. It is made of breathable virgin polypropylene with UV coating and heat-treated edging to prevent fraying. The material doesn’t hold water and dries quickly after a rain or spill.
One of the first things you will notice about the rug is its timeless design. The vibrant color and pattern add beauty to your deck while revealing your personal style. We prefer the Black & Grey color, but you can choose from any of the other four options.
The fabric feels soft and warm under the foot. It is very easy to clean with a spray hose. Just wet it down and allow it to air dry.
The rug is easy to fold and unfold and comes with a carrying bag to make it easier to transport. So, besides using it around the home, it’s also perfect for road trips and outings.
Considering the weight of the rug, you may have a hard time keeping it in place. To fix this, you can use pegs or stakes. A heavy-duty double-stick carpet tape or Velcro will also work.
The rug also comes with a carrying case for easy storage and transport. You can choose from different sizes and colors.
Besides a deck, you can use the rug in other places, both indoors and outdoors. These include your patio, garage, beach, etc.
- The foldable design allows for easy storage
- Elegant color options
- Suitable for any weather conditions
- Simple to clean
- Affordable price
- Heavier duty stakes are needed to secure it.
- 100% Polypropylene, made in India
- Designed with resilience against everyday wear and tear; this rug is kid and pet-friendly and perfect for high traffic areas both indoors and outdoors: patio, living room, kitchen and hallways
- Sleek and functional pile height allows for convenient placement in entryways, underneath furniture, and will not obstruct doorways
- A neutral color palette ensures this rug can be seamlessly integrated into existing décor
- Water resistant and easy to clean, this rug can be hosed down outside and spot treated for any mild stains using rug cleaner
The Braided Indoor/Outdoor Rug by nuLOOM is another rug that stands up to the elements while adding beauty and charm to your deck. Despite its plastic construction, it has a natural appeal that seamlessly integrates with your existing decor. It is 100 percent polypropylene, so it’s resistant to water and stains.
You can use it almost anywhere around the home, both indoors and outdoors. The low pile height allows you to conveniently place it in entryways and underneath furniture.
The synthetic material allows for easy cleaning. You can wash it down with a hose or use a rug cleaner if necessary.
Like most plastic rugs, this one is lightweight, so you need a rug pad to keep it in place. But despite being light, it can withstand heavy-duty use in high traffic areas. This makes it ideal for homes with kids and pets. It’s water-resistant, so stains and spills shouldn’t be a problem.
The rug is available in various colors, shapes, and sizes. So, it’s easy to find the perfect style for your outdoor living space. It can serve as a runner or an accent rug. You can also use it to delineate your seating area.
Overall, this is a decent rug for your wood deck. It has a versatile design and feels soft to walk on. For the price, it comes highly recommended.
- Feels soft underfoot
- Available in different color options
- Breathable propylene material (quick drying)
- Resistant to spills and stains
- Cleans easily
- Best used with a rug pad
- Reversible，two-sided design allows you to have two different looks.（Product size:244x305cm）
- Double weaving，to make it more durable, soft and low-maintenance.
- Easy to clean and store,simply hose or wipe off to clean messes and dire quickly. And the reversible rugs are added seams for easily folding.
- Prevent fading and sun damage,make it adaptable to almost any environment，but these multi-functional rugs won't hurt grass or scratch your deck.
- Portable pocket ,make it easy for you to carry it where you want to use it.such as camping, picnic, patio, beaches, living room etc.
The SMM005 is supplied with a portable bag which makes it an excellent choice for outdoor leisure life. So, if you need a rug, you can put it on your deck and take it out when you need to go camping or visit the beach; this would make an excellent choice.
As the name suggests, the rug is made from recycled plastic, a synthetic material that is perfect for an outdoor environment. It is UV-resistant and dries quickly when it comes in contact with water. The surface doesn’t get slippery but feels soft and comfortable underfoot.
The rug is weaved on both sides (double weave), which makes it reversible. This means when one side becomes dirty, you can “reverse” or turn it to the other side. It is almost the same as having two rugs, which cuts down on cleaning times.
We also like how easy it is to fold the rug. This makes transport and storage easy. The inclusion of a bag makes things less tedious.
Because the rug comes folded, you may notice creases on it. This should flatten out in a couple of minutes.
Overall, the rug seems to meet all the requirements for a good outdoor carpet rug for wood decks. We wish it cost lesser, but it’s still a good bargain at the current price. We can’t recommend it enough.
- Super easy to clean
- Low maintenance
- Elegant design
- It doesn’t get slippery
- Suitable for harsh weather conditions
- It might be a bit pricey for some people
- uv coated to protect against fading and other sun damage
- soft and durable 100% virgin polypropylene material
- easy to clean - sweep away dirt or spray clean with water
- lightweight and compact, it folds for easy storage into included carrying bag
- size: 9' x 12'
The Stylish Camping RA7 Reversible Mat is a solid option for homeowners who want an outdoor rug that is resistant to mold and mildew with low maintenance.
It is made from virgin polypropylene, which is arguably the best material for wooden decks. It’s durable, cushy, affordable, and of course, nice looking.
The use of polypropylene makes it an eco-friendly choice. It’s also coated with UV protection to prevent fading. So you can place it out in the open without any worries.
The woven structure ensures the mat is breathable. So, it’s safe to use on grass as well as your wood deck.
Another thing we like about the mat is that it’s very easy to clean. The woven design makes it easy to sweep debris. To wash, simply spray it down with water. Thankfully, it dries very fast (less than 20 minutes), so you won’t have to wait the whole day as you would with some other rugs.
The mat is pretty thin and lightweight. So, it folds easily into a compact size for storage. However, being light also means it can get lifted by the wind. To prevent this, you can stake it down with the built-in loopholes, or you can place weights on it.
Interestingly, the mat is supplied with a travel bag, so you can fold and transport it whenever you need to.
Overall, we are impressed with the quality of RA7, especially when you consider its price. We highly recommend it for homeowners and RVers who need an outdoor rug that will last.
- Nice looking
- Reversible and foldable design
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Great price
- It comes with a carrying bag for easy storage and portability
- Too light
- REVERSIBLE INDOOR/OUTDOOR MATS: Skilled artisans from recycled plastic thin straws, woven tightly along with edging, and extra sunlight protection against fading which makes it beautiful durable soft and comfortable underfoot. Double-sided use with basically similar appearance pattern.
- PREMIUM QUALITY: This outdoor rug for front porch, beach, or camper is derived from premium quality material along with heat treated edging to avoid fraying makes it long lasting and extra durable. These rugs does not stain or retain odour and hold its shape and shine after every wash.
- VIBRANT RICH COLOR: Classic weaving pattern, modern design gives you many options to choose from. Use on your patio with outdoor furniture and acessiories to show off your personal style. Soft and premium quality material do not scratch your deck or harm the grass.
- VERSATILE WATERPROOF MULTIPURPOSE MATS: This Patio mat is suitable for indoor/outdoor decoration, waterproof foldable and lightweight makes it ideal for outdoor uses like picnic, beaches, RV campaign, pets and children friendly.
- EASY TO MAINTAIN: This Modern rug is easy to clean and maintain, suitable for busy life. Just rinse the dirt with water and air dry without fading. This reversible mat have good air permiability and can be dried quickly.
This Nirvana Rug by Green Decore is made of recycled plastic, so it’s meant to be used all year round. You can place it at various locations around the home or carry it along to the beach or camp.
It’s hard not to notice the beautiful color and style this brings to your outdoor space. The classic weave pattern and vibrant color selection seem to blend in well with any decor, whether traditional or contemporary.
You can choose from its many color options depending on your taste and existing arrangement. Some of these are Leaf Green, Navy Blue, Taupe, and Teal Blue, just to mention a few.
The choice of plastic ensures the mat doesn’t have any problem with water. Likewise, the heat-treated edging offers extra sun protection and helps to prevent fraying. So, you can keep the mat outside all through the year. The material is soft and will not scratch your deck.
In addition, the mat is reversible. So, if one side gets dirty, you can flip it. Both sides have a similar design, so no one would tell the difference.
The mat is great for pets and doesn’t trap hair or retain odor. It’s stain-resistant and dries quickly after a wash without fading or losing its shape.
Overall, this nirvana rug is a great addition to wood decks. It’s nice loot, weather-resistant, easy to clean, and ideal for indoor and outdoor use. For its prices, you may not find a better alternative.
- Good air permeability
- Multipurpose rug
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Soft and comfortable underfoot
- Durable and attractive
- Not suitable for prolonged sun exposure
- Materials:Plastic Product Size:8x10ft（244x305cm） Weight:8.26lb
- Reversible,can give you a fresh look in an instant and increase its useful life
- Easy to clean and Low-Maintenance,just spray with a hose or sweep up debris with a broom
- Prevent Sun Damage and Fading,make it adaptable to almost any environment，but these multi-functional rugs won't hurt grass or scratch your deck
- Easy to fold and store,when you don't want to use it, you just need to roll it up and put it on the side ,they won't take up a lot of space for you
The Santex TT005 is a multi-functional rug that won’t hurt the grass or scratch your wooden deck. It’s ideal if you want something that can be wiped off easily.
At first glance, you can tell it’s plastic, specifically polypropylene. So, it’s water-resistant, easy to clean, and thick enough to protect your feet from too much heat.
As the name implies, the rug is double-sided, so you can flip the sides. This is possible due to its double-weave design, and it makes cleaning less frequent.
It doesn’t fade or rot easily, which makes it suitable for almost any environment.
The rug has a super easy cleaning process. Simply spray with a hose to wash it down or use a broom to sweep off dirt and debris.
We also found it very easy to fold. It folds up nicely without damaging the fibers. So, you can store it away when it’s not in use. A nylon carry bag is included in the package to make it more convenient to carry the rug around.
When you first lay out the rug, you may notice it has some lines and bumps, which is a result of being folded up. They should disappear after a few days. If you don’t want to wait, you can use heavy books to smoothen it out or tie down the ends with furniture.
The rug is lightweight, so you may want to secure it with some stakes or weights. It doesn’t come with its own stakes, so you have to get those separately.
- Durable weave design
- Nice looking
- Easy to clean
- It comes with a carrying case
- Doesn’t come with stakes
- These are the original Mad Mats famous for their lasting quality and sophisticated design
- Mad Mats are made of 100-percent recycled polypropylene and with polyester/nylon ribbon
- Strong enough to be outside all year without care; Beautiful and sophisticated enough to go inside anywhere
- Mad Mats breathe; they don't trap water so they won't mildew or rot wooden decks
- Only genuine Mad Mats come with a one-year color guarantee
This indoor/outdoor floor mat by Mad Mats will make an excellent choice for homeowners who prioritize aesthetics. As the name suggests, the mat is inspired by a Turkish lifestyle expressed through an elegant floral pattern that will totally transform your outdoor space.
The pattern is intricately woven with colorfast threads to add beauty to your wood deck. It looks almost like a real flat weave wool rug. Besides the depth of color, the woven design also provides warmth and feels soft to the feet. While we prefer the Aqua color, there are other options to choose from.
For the material, the mat combines the highest grade of recycled polypropylene with nylon ribbon, which makes it waterproof. It is also treated with UV inhibitors and conditioners to make it soft, resilient, and fade-resistant.
So the rug doesn’t get moldy or soggy after it rains. And that is because it doesn’t trap water or stains. It dries quickly and cleans easily.
To clean the rug, just hose it off. A little bleach shouldn’t cause any harm.
The rug weighs very little, which makes it easy to handle. However, avoid dragging any piece of furniture on it to avoid ripping up the threads. Also, the material can get slick when wet, so be careful when walking on it after a rain or when hosing it off.
Overall, we are pleased with the quality of this product. For the price, you may not find a better alternative.
- Environmentally friendly
- Coated with UV stabilizer
- Superior durability
- Great price
- Nice looking Turkish inspired pattern
- Can get sticky when wet
- Gertmenian (est. 1896) Tropical Outdoor Rug Collection -- the easiest way to transform your outdoor area into a mini tropical vacay. . . Simple, playful, relaxing. . . Keep Chilling!
- BELGIAN CRAFTSMANSHIP -- ultra-strong cabled yarn on high-precision Belgian looms by Gertmenian (est. 1896)
- RUG SPECS -- 94" x 120" (7 5/6 feet by 10 feet) dimensions; 100% polypropylene; Easy-Care technology: simply wash off with a garden hose; quick-drying
- UV STABILIZATION -- resistant to UV rays & stains
- STYLE -- classic border design with a timeless black outer frame and chestnut colored base; Pile Height -- 0. 2"
The Tropical Outdoor Rug by Gertmenian is a solid option for people who live in an area that gets frequent rainfall or have a porch that gets too hot.
The rug doesn’t have any problem getting wet and dries very quickly while maintaining its shape and color. Likewise, it helps with the heat during the hotter days of summer, so you can walk across your deck without burning your feet.
For the construction, the rug uses polypropylene with UV stabilization. So, it doesn’t fade with the heat but maintains a pristine look for a long time.
Another thing we like about the rug is that it cleans up nicely, even with pet poop and pee – thanks to its smart care technology. Simply wash down with a garden hose or blow off with an air hose/wand. Unlike most options, it doesn’t take the whole day to dry after cleaning. Instead, it dries within a couple of hours.
Aesthetics-wise, the rug blows it with a classic border design that will totally transform your outdoor space. The design is a combo of a timeless black outer frame that reveals Gertmenian tropical artwork and a chestnut-colored base.
It blends easily with any outdoor style or decor. You can select from five playful themes – stripe, nautical, border, coastal, and nature.
There are also different sizes to choose from, but the 8×10′ is perfect for medium-sized spaces. Some people complained that the price is a bit expensive, but that’s expected for its look.
Overall, we think the rug is well worth the price. It comes highly recommended!
Note: The rug may not layout completely flat when you first unbox it. You may notice some minor folds. This usually flattens out after a couple of weeks or months. However, if you don’t want to wait, you can place furniture on the corners to pull it down.
- Resistant to stains and moisture
- Cleans easily and dries quickly
- Suitable for all weather conditions
- Doesn’t scratch your wood deck
- Comes with UV stabilization
- Classic look
- A bit expensive.
FAQs – Best outdoor rugs for wood deck
What Is the Best Outdoor Rug Material?
Polypropylene is the best material for outdoor rugs. It is also the most popular option. Its biggest advantage is that it’s resistant to water, stains, and fading. It cleans easily and dries very quickly when rained or spilled on. It is suitable for harsh weather conditions and can withstand heavy foot traffic.
Can you leave outdoor rugs out all year?
Outdoor rugs are generally designed to survive harsh weather conditions. So, yes, you can leave yours outside all year round. This is much easier if it’s polypropylene and is placed in a covered area. However, we still recommend bringing all rugs into shelter during the colder seasons. This will help extend their useful life.
Can You Put an Outdoor Rug on Composite Decking?
Yes, you can put an outdoor rug on composite decking as long as you choose the right material and backing. Once again, polypropylene is an ideal option but avoid backings made of latex or rubber as they have higher chances of ruining a composite deck. Interestingly, all the products on the list are safe for composite.
There you have it – our top 8 best outdoor rugs for wood decks.
An outdoor rug can add beauty and comfort to your wood deck if you choose the right outdoor rug materials. But the wrong one can cause problems.
The list above is not exhaustive, but it’s a great place to start. All the products are water-resistant and will not damage your wood deck.
Let us know if you have any more questions. Until then, happy decking and rugging!